Making the 'On the Bright Side' quilt and Slow Your Roll Sew Along

'On the Bright Side' quilt is a gorgeous and stunning quilt caught my eye when it was in the February 2018 issue of American Patchwork and Quilting.  Have you seen it?  Here is what it looks like-



At the time, I just saved the pattern and hoped I'd get back to it one day.  A few weeks ago, @allpeoplequilt announced they were running a sew along for this pattern!  I ordered fabric and couldn't wait for it to come.  Once it arrived I started cutting and was excited to start.



As I was cutting though, I realized I'd never be able to make this quilt during the time of the sew along.  I knew I'd never keep up with he week's tasks and also work on the other projects I'm making.  But, I still really want to make it.



Enter the Slow Your Roll Sew Along by Pen and Paper Patterns.  Lindsey is hosting a sew along starting on October 20, 2019 that will run for 7 months...a really slow, no pressure, sew along.  You can make the pattern she will be releasing for it (Won't you be my Neighbor) or join in and make whatever pattern you'd like.  I'm going to make the On the Bright Side quilt.

In case you are interested, you can find the PDF of the On the Bright Side quilt for purchase HERE

I've worked out a schedule for the 7 months of the quilt along and I'm looking forward to working on this and not being overwhelmed by the amount of flying geese that I need to make :)



Here is the schedule I'm looking to work with-

October 20- Make 32 star blocks & cut 192- 3 1/2" print squares
November 3- Make 32 star blocks & cut 192- 3 1/2" print squares
November 20- Make 32 star blocks & cut 64- 3 1/2" ivory squares
December 4- Make 32 star blocks
December 20- Make 32 star blocks
January 3- Make 32 star blocks & cut 64- 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" ivory pieces
January20- Make 32 star blocks & cut 64- 3 1/2" x 9 1/2" ivory pieces
February 3- Make 32 star blocks
February 20- Make 16 quilt blocks & sew 2 rows
March 5- Make 16 quilt blocks & sew 2 rows
March 20- Make 16 quilt blocks & sew 2 rows
April 3- Make 16 quilt blocks & sew 2 rows
April 20- Assemble the top
May 4- Quilting
May 20- Binding


I'm hoping that I can stick with this schedule.  It's easy to be intimidated by the number of stars in this quilt and the fact that they are 3" finished!!  Look at that pin in the photo below!  And that's just a regular pin not some jumbo photo prop 😂😏


So, that's my plan for now!  If you have been eyeing quilt that seems impossible, I encourage you to break it down into little bits and work on it!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica

Comments

  1. That is a lot of stars! You can do this! I listened to the APQ podcast with Lindsey where she talked about the sew along. I liked what I heard about enjoying the quilting process by taking your time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment