Riley Blake Designs Project Tour- Little Brier Rose


Good Morning!  Today I'm sharing the project I made for the Riley Blake Designs Project Tour for Little Brier Rose by Jill Howarth.  

I always greatly look forward to making quilts using fabric by Jill Howarth.  I love Jill's style and all of the prints in each of the collections that she creates.

You can see the Story Board for Little Brier Rose HERE

With Little Brier Rose, I decided to make the Churn Dash Echo quilt from the book called- Easy Quilts with Precut Fabric.  Churn dash blocks are among my favorite and the echo twist with this block was extra fun to see in each block as I made them.


I did end up changing the size of the blocks to 12" finished because it made better use of the fabric I had to make this quilt with.  I also added 2 borders- the inner is 3" finished and the outer is 4" finished.  This was a very fun quilt to make!  

To make this quilt, I used:
💜1 Little Brier Rose Fat Quarter Bundle
💜1st border- Little Brier Rose- White Sparkle Fairies (SC11073-WHITE)
💜2nd border- Little Brier Rose- Main Midnight Sparkle (SC11070-MIDNIGHT)
💜1/2 yard Blossom in Gold (SC730-Gold)
💜1 fat quarter Bee Cross Stitch in Plum (C745-Plum)
💜1/2 yard Gem Stones in Violet Blue (C8350-Violetblue)
💜1 fat quarter Shabby in Azure (C605-Azure)
💜1 fat quarter Kaleidoscope in Midnight (CR480-Midnight)
💜1 fat quarter Shades in Twilight (C200-Twilight)
💜Backing- Confetti Cottons in Fuchsia (C120-Rileyfuchsia)
💜Binding- Blossom in Fuchsia (C715-Fuchsia)


This was the first ever project in which I used Gem Stones fabric.  Gem Stones is a pretty Riley Blake Designs Basic that has a color gradient across the width of fabric.  I used Violet Blue Gem Stones here.  One side of the yardage is blue and then it fades to purple as you move across the width of the fabric.  Here are the two blocks using the Gem Stones Violet Blue-

In the above block, Gem Stones is the outermost fabric.

In the above block, Gem Stones is the inner most fabric.

Both of these were cut from the same 1/2 yard of fabric!  It definitely adds interest and I'm certainly going to use it again in future quilts.

Here is a look at the full quilt-


I added an extra tiny churn dash in the outer border for a fun touch.


When I do something like this, I'm reminded that there are no rules in quilting (in my opinion)!  Follow a pattern or don't...change a little or change a lot!  Quilting is a wonderful form of expression and I think I'm going to try to add a little bit of these individual touches (like the mini churn dash) to my quilts in the future.

I also pieced the backing a little which is something I usually don't do but every time I make the effort and do a pieced back, I am SO happy that I did.  Here I just did a horizontal stripe with the pieces of leftover prints.  You can catch a glimpse of it below.


I used my Janome Continental M7 to piece and quilt this quilt.  For the quilting, I decided on a free motion stipple.  

I hope you enjoyed reading about this quilt and it inspired you for your next quilt project.  Thank you for following along with me!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica

Comments