Riley Blake Designs Project Tours- Christmas Joys

Good Morning! It is Jessica Dayon here today to share with you a new quilt I just finished up! I used the beautiful and nostalgic Christmas Joys by The Cottage Mama to make a Christmas version of my Abloom quilt pattern. Christmas Joys has the cutest, vintage-y Christmas prints and it definitely a must-have for your fabric stash.

To make this quilt, I used the Abloom pattern from my book- Season to Taste: Quilts to Warm Your Home All Year Long. When I designed this quilt pattern for the book, I initially planned for the star blocks to look like vintage Christmas ornaments. However, when I got down to the final details, I didn't need another Christmas quilt in the book so I changed the coloring by using a Lori Holt line and I put the quilt in the 'Spring' section of the book. In my opinion, the quilt sings no matter what fabric you use! But, I was really excited to bring my initial vision to life in this Christmas version!


I had so much fun mixing and matching the prints to make each block. In addition to the Christmas Joys fabric, I used some Riley Blake basics. Here is what I did- for the background of the blocks, I chose blue. I used two blue prints from the Christmas Joys collection- the candy cane on blue and the holly on blue. Then, I added Confetti Cotton in Sky and Blossom in Aqua. For the stars (both big and small) I used reds, greens, and pinks from the Christmas Joys collection in addition to Swiss Dot in Red, Texture in Red, Bee Cross Stitch in Cayenne, Shades in Santa, Bee Plaids in Cayenne (C6409-Cayenne), Bee Basics in Green (C6407-Green), Swiss Dot in Clover. Then for the white portion of each block, I used the following- Blossom in Santa Claus, Pin Dot in Christmas, Bee Cross Stitch in Cottage, and Bee Plaids in Cayenne (C12039-Cayenne).


I had such a fun time making this quilt! I decided to leave off the border that is called for in the pattern. I quilted it with a free motion large and loose paisley. 




I pieced a fun backing for this quilt, which makes it extra special to me! I used the panel from the Christmas Joys collection and RBD Basic Stripes in Christmas. For the binding, I used the Christmas Joys Green Plaid.


This quilt reminds me of the happiest, old time Christmas! I'm so excited with how it turned out! I hope you have been inspired to make one like it!


Thank you for following along with me!


Talk to you soon,
Jessica




Comments