Book Blog Hop- Retro Stitchery by Beverly McCullough


Today I have the privilege of sharing this project that I made using Bev McCullough's new book- Retro Stitchery- as part of her Book Blog Hop!  In case you don't know about Bev, you can find her website at Flamingo Toes.  She makes gorgeous projects, writes beautiful quilt, embroidery, and cross stitch patterns, designs the prettiest fabric, and so much more.  You can find here on Instagram @flamingotoes.

Back to her new book!  It has 13 embroidery patterns and are so fun and versatile.  Here is a look at the cover-


You can buy Bev's book in her shop- HERE- among other places, like Martingale, Amazon, Fat Quarter Shop, local quilt shops, and more.

Bev has organized a line up of wonderful makers who are each making a project from Retro Stitchery and sharing what they make.  I'm so lucky to be one of them!  Here is the schedule so that you can follow along on the project tour-

There were so many designs to chose from but in the end, I decided on Daily Priorities.  I just thought is suited me perfectly!  Here is what the design in the book looks like-



Here is my version of it


I had so much fun stitching this!  The design was easily transferred from the book to my fabric.  I used a Frixion pen and a light box to do that part.  I had such fun choosing the colors of embroidery floss and I'm happy with how it turned out!  I'm not very practiced at all of the stitches but the book has good instructions for each stitch so don't hesitate if you are new to embroidery.  You'll be able to make the projects in Bev's book by following her tips and instructions.

Once I was finished with the embroidery design, I decided to make it into an organizer for my hand work.  I love the fact that I'm going to be able to carry this with me and use it daily.

I went off the cuff and made this pattern up as I went so there is no pattern currently for the booklet organizer but if there is interest, I can work on it for the future.

The cover showcases the Daily Priorities embroidery pattern from Bev's book.  Then on the inside, I have some storage for hand work projects.

The inside cover and first page look like this-


Then next pages look like this-


The last two pages-


And finally, the back cover-



I used my long hoarded Lori Holt prints and scraps for this project and it was utterly joyful to actually use them.  I struggle with using fabric I love because I worry that I'll use it and then wish I used it for something different down the line sometime.  I'm trying to interrupt that type of thinking and make myself sew with my favorite fabrics all the time.  I sure am glad I used them here so I can enjoy looking at them daily while using this organizer.  And, the embroidery on the front makes this project even more special to me.


Thank you for following along with me!  I hope I inspired you to get a copy of Bev's book- Retro Stitchery- and do some embroidery of your own!  I think you'll have such a blast!



Talk to you soon,


Jessica 

Comments

  1. I absolutely love your organizer! Looks like it is a great size and I love the slots and pockets. Very very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete


  2. What a lovely project, you do beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this organizer and would be thrilled if you decide to make a pattern for it! Beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm wanting to make another one, so I think I will write up the pattern!

      Delete
  4. We need that pattern for the organizer you made!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PLEASE work this up as a pattern! It's PERFECT for traveling EPPs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I believe that I will! I'll share once it is ready!

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely adorable!! I would love for you to develop a pattern for this; I would buy it immediately!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your booklet organizer!! I hope you will consider making a pattern for it as I would love to make this project. It would be fun to carry whatever I am working on with me wherever I go. Plus it is so cute I can think of other ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think I will write the pattern for it!

      Delete
  8. I would love a pattern for the organizer!! Especially love it with this fabric!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment