Free Quilt Pattern: Sky Line Quilt


Hi, Everyone!  I have been working on a bunch of new quilt patterns and can't wait to share them all with you!  First up is my Sky Line Quilt.  I love all kinds of quilts...both intricate and basic.  The Sky Line Quilt is super basic and it makes such a statement.  It was super fast to make and it turned out so super awesome.  

In my version, I used Moda Fabrics Picnic Basket Wovens for the blue (the stripes and the binding-- SKU 12134-26) and then Bella Solids 9900-98 for the white.  For the backing I used the large gingham of Moda Fabrics Picnic Basket Wovens (SKU 12134-21).  I really love the way a woven pairs with a regular quilting cotton.  And a woven backing is super dreamy to snuggle with 😍


This quilt finishes at 64" x 81"

MATERIALS
2 yards blue fabric
2 yards white fabric 
5 yards backing
3/4 yard binding


INSTRUCTIONS


BASIC INSTRUCTIONS

Read through the instructions before beginning
All seams are sewn with ¼” seam allowance unless noted
RST means right sides together
WOF means Width of Fabric


CUTTING

From the white fabric, 
     -cut 8- 1.5" x WOF strips
     -cut 6- 9.5" x WOF strips

From the blue fabric, 
     -cut 15- 4.5" x WOF strips

PIECING THE STRIPS

Take 3 of the 1.5" white strips and cut them in half so that you have 6- 1.5" x 21" strips.  Piece one of these onto the end of a 1.5" x WOF strip so that you have a 1.5" x 64" (roughly). Repeat 4 more times (you'll have one 1.5" x 21" strip that you won't use).

Take 2 of the 9.5" white strips and cut them in half so that you have 4- 9.5" x 21" strips.  Piece one of these onto the end of a 9.5" x WOF strip so that you have a 9.5" x 64" (roughly). Repeat three more times.

Take 5 of the 4.5" blue strips and cut them in half so that you have 10- 4.5" x 21" strips.  Piece one of these onto the end of a 4.5" x WOF strip so that you have a 4.5" x 64" (roughly).  Repeat nine more times.


QUILT TOP ASSEMBLY

When I pieced this quilt, I sewed the 4.5" blue, 1.5" white, and 4.5" blue together first.  Then I alternated those blue/white strips with the white 9.5" strips.  You can do it like that as well or you can just add each strip to the quilt top in the order shown below.




FINISHING THE QUILT

Baste, quilt, and bind the quilt using your preferred methods.


I love the texture of this quilt and the feel of it!  Look at it!!  I had a quilted with Diagonal Plaid and I used bamboo batting.  Have you tried bamboo batting?? It's amazing (expensive, but amazing).  I don't use it in everything but every now and then I splurge!! 😉

Let me know what you think of this pattern!!  Tag your quilts on Instagram #skylinequilt #jessicadayonpatterns and tag me so I can see your version @jessicadayon

Comments

  1. What does with of fabric strips mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amie,

      Width of fabric is the length of fabric that is cut selvedge edge to selvedge edge. So, when I say to cut 1.5" x WOF it means to cut a strip of fabric from the selvedge edge to the other selvedge that is 1.5" wide. You end up with a strip that measure 1.5" wide by about 43" long (which is about what a standard width of fabric is). I just published a 'Beginner Quilting Series- Available Cuts of Fabric' post. You can take a look at that if you'd like to read a little more about how fabric is usually cut. Thanks! Jessica

      Delete

Post a Comment