Fat Quarter Shop Sew Along: Jolly Bar Bon Bons


I had the pleasure of sewing along with the Fat Quarter Shop for one of their new patterns.  It's called the Jolly Bar Bon Bons Quilt. 

This was a fun quilt to make and it only uses a Jolly Bar and background fabric.  I changed it up a little and I used two solids for my quilt.  This is the second pink quilt that I've made this year and I really love it.  Here I've used Moda Bella Solids Tea Rose (9900 89) and Off White (9900 200).

The quilt measures 60.5" x 60.5".  It came together really quickly and was a great quilt to chain piece to make quick work of it.



For the batting, I used one of my new favorites...The Warm Company's Warm & Plush.  I've talked about this batting on Instagram before but in case you didn't hear me there... I think it is one of the best cotton battings!  First off, it's thick (hence the Plush part of the name).  It uses twice as much cotton fibers and the Warm & Natural (which is what I always used before I found out about this one).  So, by weight, its noticeably heavier, which is great if you like heavier/warmer quilts.  I often want heavier batting and lots of people double layer their batting when quilting just to get it to be thicker and heavier.  With this one, I don't think double layering is necessary.  Also, I love the drape and feel on this.  Even after close quilting, it is still soft and drapey.  And, last, hand binding was a dream!  I think because of the extra thickness, my needle never went all the way to the front by accident and my needle slide right through like butter :) I can't say enough good things about it!



I free motion quilted this myself on my home machine.  It is the second one that I've done like that (the first was loops and I found that to be way easier).  I tried a kind of Baptist Fan.  It's not the best job lol but it was a good learning experience.  Also, once it is washed and crinkled, my mistakes won't stand out as much.


The backing and binding are both from All Weather Friend by April Rosenthal.  I love this floral and knew it would make the prettiest backing.  And the pink plain turned out to match the front beautifully.

The pattern was great and I'd make it again!

You can find the free Jolly Bar Bon Bons pattern from Fat Quarter Shop here.

They have also made up a kit for this quilt that uses Flour Sacks by Me & My Sister Designs.  You can find that kit here.

For more inspiration, you can head on over to the Fat Quarter Shop blog, where you can see more of this project and also on Instagram #jollybarbonbonsquilt, #shortcutquilt , and #fqsquiltalong

Comments