2019 Countdown to Christmas in COOKIES!



Christmas cookies are my favorite, favorite!!  Before I had kids, I used to take the week before Christmas off of work and bake like crazy!  I'd make 20-25 different kinds and 4-5 batches of each kind.  Then I'd make cookie platters up for everyone in the family.  Now, I can't manage intense baking sessions like that at this time so I decided to break it up and try to make a cookie a day this year!

My plan is that my family will sample the cookies on the day we make them, then I'll wrap the rest up and freeze them until Christmas.  On Christmas Eve and Christmas, we will have a huge cookie platter to share with family.  I'm really looking forward to it!

I shared this on Instagram and I received lots of messages asking for the recipes for the cookies that I'm making.  I will continue to share those in my stories on Instagram but I wanted to keep a more formal list here with proper links to the recipes for others but also for myself so I can remember the details on all of the cookies.

December 1st- Fudge Filled Sandies




These we SO good!  I had to stop myself before I ate the whole tray!  I omitted the nuts because of an allergy.  My favorite part was how the chocolate fudge filling set up really nicely.  You can find the recipe for these HERE.


December 2nd- Triple Chocolate Brownie Cookies




These were good.  I don't think they had a brownie texture but they were seriously chocolatey which I love.  All of my kids gave them the thumbs up too!  You can find the recipe HERE.


December 3rd- Mom's Molasses Cookies



These were very good!  They are NOT gingersnaps so if you are looking for the gingery taste, you will not find it here.  But they are a really good, spice cookie. You can find the recipe HERE.



December 4th- Chocolate Mint Dreams




These were ok.  I added about 1 tbsp heavy cream to the dough because I thought it was too dry.  I sprinkled with mini chocolate chips instead of chocolate drizzle.  You can find the recipe HERE.


December 5th- 3 Ingredient Peanut Butter Cookies



These were ok if in a pinch but when time and ingredients permit, just make regular peanut butter cookies.  Find the recipe HERE.


December 6th- DAY OFF

December 7th- Chocolate Chip Cookies




This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  However, I only use this recipe when I know the cookies will be eaten the same day.  They don't taste as good once they are stored.  I typically make the dough, bake them, eat them warm.  The dough can be made ahead and kept in the fridge but let it come to room temperature before scooping into cookies and baking.


Jessica's Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cup flour
1 tablespoon heavy cream
2/3 cup chocolate chips

With a wooden spoon, mix the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.  Mix in the egg, vanilla, baking soda, and salt.  Mix in the flour.  At this point the dough will be dry and won't have come all the way together yet.  Add the heavy cream and chocolate chips.  Mix until the dough forms.  Divide the dough into 15 large cookies.  When I'm putting the dough on the baking tray, I slightly roll them into cylinders with my hands so that they are taller and skinner than they are wider.  When they bake, they don't spread as much and they form into the perfect cookie.  Bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes.  Eat while still warm.

December 8th- Chocolate Raspberry Spritz




I won a blue ribbon for this cookie recipe once.  They are one of my favorite cookies and it doesn't feel like Christmas without them.

Chocolate Raspberry Spritz Cookies
by Jessica Dayon


2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 c butter
1 1/4 c powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 Tbsp shortening
2 tsp raspberry extract

1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Sift together flour and salt, set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Stir in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Gradually add in the flour mixture, mixing until blended.
2. Fill a cookie press with dough and press cookies about 1-inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes. Cool on wire racks.
3. When cookies are cool, melt chocolate and shortening then add raspberry extract to taste. Note: the chocolate may seize up when you start adding the extract. You can add more extract or shortening to remedy this. You may also need to warm it up more to get it nice and melted because the extract will also cool the chocolate off a little.

4. Spread the chocolate mix on a cookie and sandwich another cookie on top. After sandwiches are made, drizzle remaining chocolate over the sandwiches.

December 9th- Black and White Cookies



My family loves these and I make them every Christmas!

Recipe to come


December 10th- DAY OFF


December 11th- Chocolate Covered Pretzels & Chips





Melt 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon shortening in the microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted (stirring after each cycle).  Dip pretzels and chips into the melted chocolate.  Decorate with sprinkles while the chocolate is still melted, if desired.


December 12th- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies



These are one of my kids favorite-  I think because they are eating candy and a cookie at once- haha! You can find the recipe HERE.


December 13th- Raspberry Jam Swirls



This was a new-to-me recipe and the cookies were horrible!! The cookies were super dry and flavorless.  I totally would never make these again and would not recommend to anyone.


December 14th- DAY OFF
December 15th- DAY OFF

December 16th- Kolaczki
Recipe HERE

December 17th- Homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Trees


December 18th- Crock Pot Peanut Clusters


December 19th- Grinch Cookies


Recipe HERE




December 20th- Snickerdoodles and Cherry Chocolate Chip

Cherry Chocolate Chip- recipe HERE
Snickerdoodles- recipe not posted

December 21st- Almond Joy Cookies
Recipe HERE




Enjoy!



Talk to you soon,


Jessica 

Comments