Riley Blake Designs Project Tour- Summer Picnic

 


Hi, Everyone!  Today I'm sharing the project I made for the Riley Blake Designs Project Tour for Summer Picnic by Melissa Mortenson.

Summer Picnic is such a delightful collection!  I absolutely love every print and color and will definitely be buying more of this fabric to sash for projects at a later date!




You can see the Storyboard for Summer Picnic- here.

I decided to make the Ribbons quilt from my book- Season to Taste: Quilts to Warm Your Home All Year Long.


Here is the original Ribbons quilt I made for the book-


I designed this quilt to be used in the 'Winter' section of the book.  However, like so many quilts, this one can be used for any season/holiday just by changing the fabric used in the quilt.



When I made this new version, I changed it up quite a bit!  I used four different fabrics plus white for each block.  I made 16 blocks instead of 25 and I added 2" sashing.  I also used one 4" border instead of the two borders in the original quilt.



In the original quilt, I was really careful with the middles of the blocks so that they were facing all the same direction- I think you need that when the quilt is only made of a few colors because it has quite an impact on the design.  In contrast, with this version, I was willy-nilly with the centers and left the direction they pointed to chance.  I like the way it looks with the scrappiness of the quilt.


I hope this project inspired you to take a quilt pattern and try it in a new color scheme to see the fun results.  As always, thanks for following along!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica

Comments

Post a Comment