Bright Stars Quilt

Good Morning, my friends! Today I’d like to share the quilt that I made using Bright Stars by Teresa Kogut for the Riley Blake Designs project tour. 

The first time I saw this collection, I got so caught up in the beautiful details in each of the prints. This is my first time using folk art style fabric and I'm so happy with it. I just love these designs and the colors of the collection too.

I looked around and considered many quilt patterns to make with this fabric. In the end, I came up with this. I think I've seen something similar before but I could find no pattern. I did not write one but I will tell you how to make one block and then you can use that to make a similar quilt if desired.

This quilt is composed of the same block in different colors used throughout the quilt top.

The block measures 6 1/2" unfinished. To make this block, you'll need 1- 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square of white, 2 triangles cut from a 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" square of white that was cut on both diagonals to yield four triangles per square, 2 triangles cut from a 4 1/4" x 4 1/4" square of blue that was cut on both diagonals to yield four triangles per square, and 1 triangle cut from a 6 7/8" x 6 7/8" square of blue that was cut on one diagonal to yield two triangles per square.

Take the 2 small white triangles and 2 small blue triangles and sew the two pieces as shown below.


Then take a 3 1/2" square of white and sew it to the correct triangle unit as shown below.



Next add the other triangle unit as shown below.

Then sew on the large blue to complete the block.

I made this block in each of the colors- red, white, and blue. I used 2 1/2" sashing and cornerstones throughout. The background color that I used in this quilt is Confetti Cotton in Le Creme.



I quilted this quilt on my BERNINA Q24 with Qmatic using the Star & Crescent that came preloaded in the Qmatic software.


For the backing, I used Riley Blake Designs Linen in Natural. I absolutely love this fabric. It is soft, has a beautiful drape, and washes and dries nice too.


For the binding, I used Bright Stars Stripes in Blue. I really love stripe-y binding!



Thank you for following along with me today! I hope this project inspired you to make something. I love sharing what I'm up to with other makers and also hearing about what you are making too!  I'm so happy you are here with me!

Jessica



Comments