The Betsy Quilt Along- Week 2




Hi, Everyone! Today starts the second week of the Betsy Quilt Along!  

The Betsy quilt measures 85 3/8" x 85 3/8".  This quilt along will be free and all of the patterns/posts will be here on my blog.  

I'll also be sharing progress on Instagram- @jessicadayon- and we will be using the hashtag #thebetsyquilt




The Betsy Quilt Along Schedule


Week 2- June 11th- Mary Blocks
Week 3- June 18th- Dorothy Blocks
Week 4- June 25th- Florence Blocks
Week 5- July 2nd- Cut the setting units/catch up week
Week 6- July 9th- Assemble the quilt top

For this week, we are assembling the nine patches we made into blocks.  These blocks are called the Mary Blocks.

The Mary Block- we will be making 12 of these


IMPORTANT NOTE FOR THE SCRAPPY VERSION OF THE BETSY QUILT

First, completely separate from the Mary Blocks and if you are doing the scrappy version of this quilt, I'd recommend cutting the setting triangles before you get started with today's assignment.  These setting triangles will be cut from the 3- 3/4 yards cuts.

To set this quilt on point, we will need to cut 3- 22 1/2" squares.  Then we will cut each square on both diagonals to yield 4 triangles per square (for a total of 12 triangles).  I'd recommend cutting these today and setting them aside.  Then, put the leftover fabric from the 3- 3/4 yards cuts with your fat quarters to use to cut the remaining pieces of the quilt out.


BACK TO THE MARY BLOCKS

To make the Mary blocks, there are PDF directions below but I also wanted to give you a few of the tips that I use when piecing these blocks.

These are relatively easy and very straight forward blocks so there is not too much to say about them.  

First, I chain piece every step of this block.  And, I almost always do that without pressing between steps because its faster.  It works out great.  However, you could press between steps if you'd like to.

These are examples of the chain piecing units that we are making.  The fabric I'm using here is Riley Blake's Confetti Cottons in Aqua and Bee Backgrounds in Gray Cross Stitch.


The other tip is to sew an accurate 1/4" seam allowance.  It seems obvious but sometimes, in the past, when I'm sewing a smaller piece (like a 1 1/2" strip), I would hesitate slightly because it seemed like the seam allowance was taking up so much of the piece!  In those cases, I would sew less than 1/4" and that would mess everything else up!  So, sew an accurate 1/4" seam allowance and the block will turn out perfectly.


That's it for today!  Make 12 Mary blocks and meet me back here for Week 3 next Thursday!

One of my Aqua Mary blocks and one of my scrappy red Mary blocks



This pattern is no longer free and will be available for purchase in my shop soon.



Just let me know if you have any other questions!  Happy sewing!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica

Comments

Post a Comment