New Quilting Book- Best of Moda Bake Shop & Pillow Pattern


Hi, Everyone!  Moda Bake Shop has recently published another quilt pattern book and I had the pleasure of being one of the contributors!  

Here is my author image from the book promotion!


This book is a fun collaboration that contains 15 quilt patterns- each one from a different designer- that all use precuts.

This is what the cover of the book looks like-

Here is the picture of the quilt that I contributed.  It is called 'Pinwheels'.  It uses a layer cake and yardage.  You can find all of the requirements in the book.  I used the very beautiful 'Goldenrod' by One Canoe Two to make the book sample quilt.



You can see the images of all of the quilts in the book on Martingale's website- HERE.

On fun thing all of the contributors are doing is to celebrate the book launch is to share a pillow pattern that uses the block from our quilt in the book.  We are calling it a Pillow Parade.  It started on August 10th and goes until September 11th.


Today is my turn on the Pillow Parade!

For my pillow, I decided to go Christmas-y.  I used Christmas Figs II by Fig Tree Quilts.



Here are the instructions to make my pillow-


Finished Pillow Size: 18 1/2” x 18 1/2”


Materials

 

Yardage is based on 42” -wide fabric. Fat quarters are 18” x 21”. Fat eighths are 9” x 21”.

 

1 'Pinwheels' quilt block (the pattern is in the Best of Moda Bake Shop book)

1/8 yard or 1 fat eighth of cream fabric for the border

1/4 yard of 1 fat quarter of green print fabric for the border

1/4 yard of 1 fat quarter of red print fabric for the binding

1- 20" square of muslin

1-20" square of batting

1- 18 1/2" square pillow backing



Cutting

 

From the cream fabric, cut:

2 strips, 1 1/2” x 12 1/2”

2 strips, 1 1/2” x 14 1/2”


From the green print fabric, cut:

2 strips, 2 1/2” x 14 1/2”

2 strips, 2 1/2” x 18 1/2”


From the red print fabric, cut:

4 strips, 2 1/2” x 21” -OR- 2 strips, 2 1/2” x 41/42”



Making the Pillow Top


Use a 1/4” seam allowance. 

 

            1.  For the inner border, sew the cream 1 1/2” x 12 1/2” strips to the sides of the 'Pinwheels' block.  Press.  Sew the cream 1 1/2” x 14 1/2” strips to the top and bottom edges of the block. Press. The pillow top should now measure 14 1/2” x 14 1/2”, including the seam allowances.



           2.  For the outer border, sew the green print 2 1/2” x 14 1/2” strips to the sides of the pillow top.  Press.  Sew the green print 2 1/2” x 18 1/2” strips to the top and bottom edges of the block. Press. The pillow top should now measure 18 1/2” x 18 1/2”, including the seam allowances.


Finishing the Pillow Top            

            1. Layer the pillow top, batting, and muslin. Baste the layers together.

 

            2. Hand or machine pillow front as desired.  


            3. Prepare the pillow back as desired.  I have a video on how I prepare my zipper pillow backs on my Instagram highlights- HERE.

 

            4. Using the red print 2 1/2” wide strips, make the binding and attach it to the pillow.  I typically hand bind my pillows and when I sew the binding to the front of the pillow, I also am sewing the quilted pillow top and the pillow back together as well.




I hope you enjoyed this quick pillow tutorial!  Its neat to use quilt patterns in more than one way and using a quilt pattern to make a quick, one-block pillow is a quick fun project!  You can follow along with the Pillow Parade on Instagram.  I share the pillow to my Instagram stories as they are available, each designer is sharing their own, and also Moda Bake Shop is sharing them on their Instagram account as well.


Thank you for following along!



Talk to you soon,


Jessica 

Comments