Icicles Quilt Along- Week 1- Prepare the dresden blades

  

Hello, Everyone!  Today is the first day of the Icicles quilt along!  I have been really anticipating the start of this quilt along and I'm so happy it is here!

If you didn't see the information post that I wrote about this quilt along, you can find that here.  The Icicles quilt pattern can be found in my book- Season to Taste: Quilts to Warm Your Home All Year Long-


You can buy it from:    Amazon

                                    Martingale

                                    Fat Quarter Shop

Here is what the original Icicles quilt looks like-



Here is the schedule we will follow during our quilt along. 

Icicles Quilt Along
Week 1- November 5- Prepare the dresden blades
Week 2- November 12- Sew the dresden plates
Week 3- November 19- Appliqué the dresden plates
Week 4- November 26- Make the alternate blocks
Week 5- December 3- Make the setting triangles
Week 6- December 10- Make the corner triangles and assemble the top

If this is your first time working with dresdens, don't worry, I've got you covered!  I'll explain in depth here and I'll also do a video in my stories on Instagram and save the video to my Highlights there.

This week, in Week 1, we are preparing the dresden blades.  This is the first step.  You'll need the template from the book to cut out the dresden blades.  When working with templates, it is generally recommended that you trace the template onto quilter's template plastic- like this.  However, I just use paper.  You can do it however you like.  I'm going to explain my method here but feel free to look up other methods if this doesn't suit you.

I photocopy the template page and cut the template out.  Then I get the fabric ready.  If I am cutting from fat quarters (as specified in the pattern), I cut my strips of fabric.  Then I place my paper template as close to the end of the fabric as I can but so it is on the fabric completely.  I place my ruler on top of the template so it is right in line with the paper template and trim away the excess fabric.  Then I flip my template and ruler 180 degrees and cut again.  This time I will get one dresden blade that is the exact size of the template.  Flip the template and the ruler 180 degrees and cut again.  Then repeat and keep cutting out all of the dresden blades needed for this pattern.

Take one blade-


Fold it in half, right sides together.  Try to fold it as exactly as possible, matching up each side and the top as perfectly as you can.

Sew along the top edge, 1/4" away from the edge of the fabric.  Backstitch at the beginning and at the end of the blade.



You can chain piece this step-


Next, use a pair of scissors to snip away some of the seam allowance the is on the side that is folded in half.  You should aim to leave 1/8" seam allowance behind.  Cut at an angle so that the 1/8" seam allowance is right at the folded edge and then it is diagonally fades back to the 1/4" seam allowance that you sewed with.



Separate the seam allowance with your fingers and finger press the seam allowance open.


Holding the seam allowance open, flip the dresden blade right side out.


Use a point turner, a very small crochet hook, or something of that sort to push the tip of the dresden blade out.  Keep the seam allowance open in the inside of the blade.


Press the blade.  I press it from the back side first, then flip it over, make sure the front looks good, and press it again from the front side.




This process is a little fussy, especially if it is new to you.  However, you can catch on pretty quickly, you'll get used to making each blade, and you'll get pretty quick at it.

For this week, we are preparing all of our dresden blades.  So, cut, chain piece, and then press away!  If you have any questions on these steps, be sure to let me know!

You can the hashtags #iciclesquilt #seasontotastequiltbook and #jessicadayonpatterns to share your progress.  Happy sewing!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica 

Comments