Icicles Quilt Along- Week 5- Make the setting triangles

      

Hello, Everyone!  Welcome to week 5 of the Icicles quilt along!  This week we are working on the setting triangles.

If you didn't see the information post that I wrote about this quilt along, you can find that here.  The Icicles quilt pattern can be found in my book- Season to Taste: Quilts to Warm Your Home All Year Long-


You can buy it from:    Amazon

                                    Martingale

                                    Fat Quarter Shop

Here is what the original Icicles quilt looks like-



Here is the schedule we will follow during our quilt along. 

Icicles Quilt Along

This week, in week 5, we are making the setting triangles.  

I want to share a story about when I started quilting- at the beginning when you are looking to learn as much as you can and don't know many techniques, you hear people talk about things that are notoriously difficult and you begin to form opinions before actually using the techniques.  

One of those things that I always heard was really difficult, and therefore not worth trying, is working with triangles.  In fact, I have found that people go out of their way to not work with triangles.  

When I started quilt though, I decided that I am determined to not be intimidated by techniques that people say are difficult.  First, everyone works differently.  Things that are difficult for one person are not necessarily difficult for another person.  Second, maybe the person had a bad experience or was taught incorrectly.  If this is the case, it really doesn't mean the skill is difficult, just maybe that you need a good teacher to explain it in a way you understand.  Third, if a skill is truly difficult to me, I am committed to practicing it until I'm really good at it.  Once I am good at it (difficult or not), I will then form my opinion on the skill to decide if I will continue to use it or find another way instead.

Working with triangles is something I truly enjoy.  For me, triangles simplify quilt patterns so much.  Now, that might not be the case for you, and if so, that is okay!  But, here I'll explain how I use triangles in this pattern.  

When using triangles, it is most important to cut accurately.  Cutting accurately is a big part of quilting in general though.  Very often, when cutting triangles, you are using measurements to the eighth of an inch.  Don't be intimidated by eighth inch cutting.  It is exactly the same as if you were cutting to a whole number.  Get a good ruler so that you can clearly see the eighth inch measurements and you'll have no problems.  Here is a picture of me trimming a square to 2 7/8".


If you are really struggling, you can buy rulers that have lines on the eighth inch measurements instead of just dashes (like the above ruler).  Creative Grids makes one called Itty-Bitty Eights.  They sell them in a 6" square, a 3" x 7", and a 5" x 15".

After cutting the square, you line your ruler up so that you are cutting the square in half on one diagonal and then you cut.  Hold the ruler steady so you don't slip.  Don't rush.  Then you'll be left with two triangles, ready to use.

Take note though, after cutting, you do have to handle triangles gently so you don't distort them.  The way a triangle is cut yields a piece of fabric that is stretchy across the long edge so you handle it in a manner that you don't pull on it or stretch it when piecing or pressing.  With practice, you don't even think about this step anymore and I handle all of fabric that I cut in the same way now.

First I layout my pieces for the inside of the setting triangle.

Then I sew them together in horizontal rows.  


Trim the overhanging fabric at the top of each triangle.  

Then sew the rows together to make the side of the block.


Trim the overhanging fabric at the right of each triangle.  Layout the outer portion of the block.  


Sew the left rectangle and top triangle together.  Sew the square, rectangle, and right triangle together.  Trim the overhang on the triangles.


Sew the left piece onto the center.


Finally sew the bottom piece to the center.  Below, the triangle block we just made is shown with an alternate block (from week 4) and two dresden blocks (from weeks 1-3).


See you back here next week the final week!  You can the hashtags #iciclesquilt #seasontotastequiltbook and #jessicadayonpatterns to share your progress.  Happy sewing!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica 

Comments