Willow Quilt Along- Week 2



Hi, Everyone!  Welcome to the second week of the Willow Quilt Along!  This is a new quilt along that I'm hosting with my friend, Amber- Gigi's Thimble and today we are starting the second week!

Here's the schedule for you to reference-


Willow Quilt Along Schedule
Week 2- April 2nd: Make 4 Grace blocks
Week 3- April 9th: Make 4 Grace blocks
Week 4- April 16th: Make 6 Hope blocks
Week 5- April 23rd: Make 5 Hope blocks
Week 6- April 30th: Make the cornerstones and cut the layout pieces
Week 7- May 7th: Assemble the top

There is no sign up for the QAL.  We will be sharing all of the information on our blogs and instagram accounts.  You can follow us in both places so you don't miss anything.

Jessica- my blog is Jessica Dayon and my Instagram account is @jessicadayon

Amber- her blog is Gigi's Thimble and her Instagram account is @gigisthimble

Amber and I thought it would be fun to do a get-to-know-you question every week.  This week we will both tell you how we started quilting.  

I have always been into doing crafts of all kinds- embroidery, crochet, knitting, paper crafts, cross stitch, and sewing.  I still love them all.  For years, I crocheted every day and wrote lots of crochet patterns.  My old blog for that is HERE and the patterns are still available.

One day, in the summer of 2017, I was looking at birthday party ideas and I came across a birthday cake table runner.  It was an appliqué pattern.  So, I bought the pattern and started on it.  Somewhere in the middle of making that, I started exploring quilting.  I bought Gooseberry fabric by Lella Boutique and made my first quilt.  I had no idea what I was doing but I was completely in love and completely hooked!  Since that day, I have quilted every single day.

I don't know anyone that quilts (except for the friends I've met on Instagram since I started) and have no family that quilts.  So, I have had to teach myself how to do it every step of the way.  There a lots of resources online but I have found the best way to learn is through trial and error.  I like to experiment with different ways of doing something and then pick the method that works best for me and that I enjoy most.  I really enjoy teaching what I've learned which is why I like to host quilt alongs and show techniques for various aspects of quilting- I have some saved to the highlights on my Instagram page- HERE- and also show some here on my blog on the Patterns/Tutorials page.

You can read Amber's post here!  We'd love it if you would tell us about yourself in the comments on one of our blogs or on our Instagram post!


This week we are making 4 Grace Blocks.  You can find the pattern HERE.

Here is what my grace block is going to look like.  I'm using two dark colors here instead of one because I wanted to tie the red in with my Harmony blocks.




I am sewing these blocks along side of you so, I'll post my pictures when I have them sewn!

Here are my Harmony blocks from last week-



We'd love to see your fabric pulls and your progress through the QAL, so if you are on Instagram, use the hashtag #willowqal and tag us both- @jessicadayon and @gigisthimble

Let me know if you have any other questions!


Talk to you soon,


Jessica

Comments